Thursday, May 31, 2012

Banana Shake, Banana Smoothie


It's dessert time! Or lunch time, or snack time.
No matter what time it is, this milkshake feels like the right product at the right time.

I know it has been what- 2 years since I have posted on this blog. But I am returning for a little bit because of my inability to find recipes that include what I have in my house, therefore I want to get more options out there for you (and me)!

I have been on a huge smoothie/milkshake kick for the past few weeks, since I have a blender when at home. For yogurt I use plain greek yogurt which averages 8-10 carbs per cup and 20 grams of protein; when I use vanilla there is about 15 carbs per cup.
-Bananas are always the perfect additive to milkshakes and smoothies because they help with the creamy composition. In order to get the best results when using bananas, freeze them the night before. I usually break them into 5 or 6 pieces and them put in a plastic baggie, that way the frozen banana will blend easier.
-Then there is milk. My family does not drink milk, but if I have time to run by the grocery store I will pick up some form of unsweetened Almond milk, which has 2 carbs and 45 calories per cup. If you want a creamier shake I would recommend using no form of milk and just greek yogurt.
-Spices. Cinnamon, pumpkin, nutmeg. Any form of these three makes any treat taste like autumn. I add them to my coffee, breads and shakes.
This recipe has about 35 carbs.


So for this shake of sorts I used:
1/2 cup greek yogurt (plain)
1 frozen banana
1 cup of crushed ice
2 tsp of vanilla sugar free pudding mix
1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup almond milk
2 tbls of steel cut oats
also several dashes of different spices

Until today I had not used pudding mix or any kind of milk before, but I wanted something a little less smoothie and a little more milkshake, since this is not my breakfast. But I would say that a dash of vanilla extract is much better than any type of instant pudding, therefore I will stick with pudding-less shakes in the future.

Please let me know what substitutions you make in your shakes!
*Adding a tablespoon of PB never hurts either

No comments:

Post a Comment